Chris and I currently have 13 children running around the house. It’s definitely not a boring life! But it could become utter chaos if some basic organization tips weren’t followed.
Serving dinner on paper plates is common in our busy home.
I suppose I wish I had known these tips when younger. They’re not rocket science tips. They’re simple and easy to apply. As a mom of many blessings, these organizational tips make for a smoother home life.
- Keep it simple. Have your house in such a way that it is easy to keep in order. The less clutter the better.
- Relax. It is OK to relax with your children. Read to them, color with them and do things that you know they like to do.
- Let the phone go unanswered. Let the machine get it and call back later. Your time with your small children is important and the children will know it when you are not dumping them off your lap to grab that phone.
- Paper plates are OK. You do not always have to use your dishes that need to be washed! Let it go and use paper. We often serve breakfast on just napkins.
- Name the cups. Cups add up quickly to that dish pile. Let your children pick out a cup in the morning and then keep it all day. This really helps them know to keep track of it and it helps you keep your dishwashing down.
- Find good friends whom you trust. If you are able to find a family that shares your values and be around them this will ease your feelings of being alone. Find an older lady who could show you the ropes, one who can mentor you in the ways of motherhood.
- Spend some time everyday with God. Pray for your husband and your children. Read the Bible. Talk with God. It will sooth your soul and bring you peace.
- Stay focused. Try to stay focused on the task you are doing and the next task that needs doing. Now is your time with your children. Enjoy it, laugh a lot, and create the home God wants you to create.
Any other ideas? I’d love to hear from you. Fill in your comments below.