We often hear of the “troubled teen.” The idea is this…
- Teenagers are full of hormones.
- Teenagers are illogical.
- Teenagers argue with authority.
Basically, they’re “troubled.” We should expect it. We should prepare ourselves for years of parenting that will be exhausting.
How about we throw this idea out the window? Instead…
- Teenagers are our children on the verge of growing into adults.
- Teenagers are owning their beliefs and thinking through what they’ve been taught.
- Teenagers attempt to separate our mistakes from the good we have given them.
Line them up with the judgments from the first bulleted list. It’s a change of perspective that has given us such an optimistic view of this stage of life.
We think teens are awesome.