We love pumpkin seeds. The recipe isn’t rocket science, but we’re surprised how many people just throw away the insides of their pumpkins. Breaks our hearts! Here are simple instructions.
- Cut the pumpkin open and start digging out the seeds. This is best for 2-6 year olds.
- In a large strainer over the sink, wash the seeds thoroughly. Remove as much orange gunk as a 13-year-old can tolerate.
- Pour the seeds into an even layer of oil, enough so that the seeds are setting in the oil (not drowning in it).
Sprinkle salt or a favorite seasoning (we like ranch seasoning). Place in 350 degree oven.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes. Take the pan out, stir with a spatula, and salt again. The kids will beg to start eating them, but be the parent you’re called to be and keep them from the temptation. Put back into the oven.
- Bake for another 15 minutes or until golden brown. You will actually be able to hear them “pop” a little, not like popcorn, but like pistachios. Remove from oven.
- Scoop seeds into paper towels. Salt some more to desired taste.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes. Allow children to take one, blow on it, and eat.
- Enjoy together!
What to do with all the pumpkin? We carve them into jack-o-lanterns, using the carved pieces for pie and pumpkin butter. These recipes are in Wendy’s cookbooks, which are 1/2 price till November 1st!…