Our family has been fans of Blimey Cow for about a year, but this video has gone viral. It was uploaded just one week ago, and already has been viewed nearly 1/2 million times and has received 1,500 comments.
This guy is funny because the funniest things in life are true. We so totally agree with his analysis that we can’t help but laugh.
Here’s the one that strikes us as the funniest: #2: Homeschoolers Have No Lives. There are those who are concerned for the cultural development of our children, as if we aren’t really experiencing the fruits of life like those in “regular school.”
Contrast that concern with the facts of our lives for a moment. At the time of this post…
- We’re crazy busy with preparing for homeschool speech and debate tournaments.
- Lydia just finished with a fantastic record at a Denver tournament in team-policy debate with her partner, a homeschooler from Salt Lake City.
- They’re traveling out to California next month to compete in a tournament with about 500 other homeschoolers.
- Micah wrote an extremely funny Original Interpretation, sort of a stand up comedy act. Noah did an Oratory on gymnastics. And Isaiah is chugging along as a first-year team-policy debater.
- The little kids join us on the tournaments and time rounds, meeting kids and building friendships.
- We meet and befriend families from all over the country, arguably the coolest people imaginable. They have this similarity: they all kicked out of the culturally expected box for their children and are homeschooling them.
Come to think of it, our homeschooled lives have been nonstop exciting! We’ve traveled coast to coast, all for homeschool-related projects, more than we traveled by the time we were 20. We’re not held down by a shackled schedule that directs a massive amount of children (as in traditional school systems). If our work life justifies a change in our schedule, we do it. We learn along the way and have a ball.
So we agree with Blimey Cow: our lives are awesome.